People who are severely mentally impaired are not included when working out council tax and can get an exemption.
Before you start
You can give some information on this form to start your claim for an exemption, but we will need to write to you to ask for written permission for us to contact your registered medical practitioner and the Department of Work and Pensions.
The person who is severely mentally impaired must also be getting one of these benefits:
- Incapacity Benefit
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Attendance Allowance
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- The daily living component of a Personal Independent Payment (PIP) paid at any rate
- The care component of a Disability Living Allowance paid at the highest or middle rate
- An increase in the rate of Disablement Pension (where constant attendance is needed)
- Disability Working Allowance
- An unemployability supplement
- Constant Attendance Allowance with Disablement Benefit or War Disablement Pension
- An Unemployability Allowance
- Income Support which includes a disability premium.
- Universal credit (where a person has limited capability for work or work-related activity)
You will need
We will ask you to upload benefit documents.
If you are acting on behalf of a person who is severely mentally impaired, please upload a copy of the power of attorney, or other evidence that shows you are allowed to make decisions for them.
Uploading supporting documents
We may ask you to upload some documents.
- Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
- Zip files cannot be uploaded
- We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
- There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB
What happens next
We will write to your GP.
If you are unable to upload benefit documents, we will write to you asking for more information.
We aim to give you an answer within 10 working days, but it may take longer if we are waiting for a reply from your GP. Please check My transactions for updates.
This form should take approximately eight minutes to complete.
Please complete all fields marked *