Apply for this exemption if you have moved because you are caring for someone and your old property is now unoccupied.
Before you start
Only apply for this exemption if:
- Your new home allows you to provide better care. This does not always mean you have to live in the same home as the person you are caring for
- The care being provided is due to old age, disability, illness, alcohol/drug dependence or mental health issues
- Your old property was your main or only residence and you were not able to give care while living at your old property.
You will need
- Council tax account number
- Supporting documents to show you are living somewhere else
- Reason care is being given.
Uploading supporting documents
You can upload any supporting documents that you think will help your application. This could be evidence of any benefits being paid to the person you are caring for, e.g. Attendance Allowance.
- Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
- Zip files can't be uploaded
- We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
- There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB
What happens next
We aim to give you an answer within 10 working days. Please check My transactions for updates.
We will either reduce your bill or let you know why we cannot.
While you are waiting for a decision, please carry on paying the amount of council tax shown in your last bill.
This form should take approximately six minutes to complete.