A property is exempt from council tax if it is illegal to live in or is under a compulsory purchase order (CPO).
Before you start
This exemption does not apply to properties that are empty due to legal disputes.
A property illegally occupied by squatters is not exempt from council tax. The squatters can be held liable for council tax.
You will need
- A copy of the planning order prohibiting occupation of the property
- Document confirming the CPO
Uploading supporting documents
We may ask you to upload some documents.
- Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
- Zip files can't be uploaded
- We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
- There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB
What happens next
We aim to give you an answer within 10 working days. Please check My transactions for updates.
We will either reduce your bill or let you know why we cannot.
This form should take approximately five minutes to complete.
Please complete all fields marked *