If a property is not lived in, because the person has left to get care at another address, for example a relative’s home, the property may be exempt from council tax.
Before you start
- The person moved out to get care due to old age, disability, illness, past or present alcohol or drug dependence, or past or present mental health disorder
- The property was the only or main residence at the time they moved out
Apply for a different exemption if the
You will need
- Council tax account number of the property left empty
- Property address
- Any evidence to show reason care is needed
- Carer’s name and address
Uploading supporting documents
We may ask you to upload some documents.
- Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
- Zip files cannot be uploaded
- We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
- There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB
What happens next
We aim to give you an answer within 10 working days. Please check My transactions for updates.
We will either reduce your bill or let you know why we cannot.
This form should take approximately six minutes to complete
Please complete all fields marked *