A property may be exempt from council tax if a student (or students) has left a property they own or rent, so that they can study.
Before you start
- You are the account holder
- The property is unoccupied
- The property was the only or main residence of the student or students who have left
- No adults other than students lived in the property
- You are a full-time student at the time of leaving or within six weeks of leaving
- The course is at least 24 weeks and has at least 21 hours per week study, tuition or work experience. Full-time student nurses on academic courses and foreign language assistants also qualify.
You will need
- Council tax student certificate
This would be issued by the university or college for each student who has moved away. The certificate should bear the issuing institution’s official mark.
You can also upload any other documents which support your claim.
Uploading supporting documents
We may ask you to upload some documents.
- Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
- Zip files cannot be uploaded
- We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
- There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB
What happens next
We aim to give you an answer within 10 working days. Please check My transactions for updates.
We will either update your bill or let you know why we cannot.
This form should take approximately seven minutes to complete
Please complete all fields marked *