Households where someone is connected to a visiting force, do not have to pay council tax and can apply for an exemption.
Before you start
The dependents of visiting forces qualify if they are not a British citizen or normally resident in the UK.
The countries covered are: Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica, Fiji, France, Gambia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Granada, Guyana, India, Italy, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Malawi, Maldives, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Nauru, Netherlands, New Hebrides, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, St Lucia, St Vincent & Grenadines, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sri Lanka, St Christopher & Nevis, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, Tuvalu, Uganda, USA, Western Samoa, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
You will need
- Proof of membership of a visiting force; certificate issued under section 11 of the 1952 Act.
Uploading supporting documents
We may ask you to upload some documents.
- Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
- Zip files cannot be uploaded
- We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
- There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB
What happens next
We aim to give you an answer within 10 working days. Please check My transactions for updates.
This form should take approximately five minutes to complete.