An annexe, sometimes known as a granny annexe, is exempt from council tax if a dependent relative lives there.
A dependent relative is a person:
- Aged 65 or over
- Who is severely mentally impaired
- Who is substantially and permanently disabled.
Before you start
- You are the person who pays council tax for the main property
We will ask you details about the dependent relative and what that person’s relationship is to you.
- Spouse, civil partner, parent, child, stepchild, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle or aunt, nephew or niece, great grandparent, great-grandchild, great-uncle, great-aunt, great-niece, great-great grandparent, great-great-grandchild, great-great uncle, great-great aunt, great-great nephew or great-great niece
- Relationships by marriage or civil partnership (i.e. in-laws)
- Relationships between people living together as spouses.
If an annexe is occupied by a relative who is not over 65, severely mentally impaired, or permanently disabled, you may get an annexe discount
You will need
- If the dependent relative is aged 65 or over, please upload evidence of the person’s date of birth
- If the person is substantially or permanently disabled and under 65, please upload any evidence that supports this, for example copies of any relevant benefits in payment and/or evidence that the person is registered disabled
- If the person is severely mentally impaired and under 65, we will contact you about this
Uploading supporting documents
We may ask you to upload some documents.
- Accepted file types: Word (docx), Acrobat (pdf), Excel (xlsx), Plain text (txt)
- Zip files cannot be uploaded
- We also accept photos taken on phones and tablets and the following image file types - jpeg, gif, png
- There is a maximum individual file size per document of 50MB
What happens next
We may need to visit the property before we give the exemption.
We aim to give you an answer within 10 working days. Please check My transactions for updates.
This form should take approximately seven minutes to complete.
Please complete all fields marked *